Stormwater Pollution Prevention
Everywhere in the West Valley storm drains carry water from streets and yards to local creeks and on to San Francisco Bay - without wastewater treatment. Stormwater Pollution occurs when pollutants accumulate on streets and other surfaces and are washed off by rainfall or water. The pollutants flow into storm drains and from there directly into creeks and on to the Bay. Residents may contribute to stormwater pollution through regular everyday activities like driving and gardening. Commercial and industrial activities can also be sources of pollution.
Stormwater pollution is an important issue because it affects the health of local creeks and San Francisco Bay. Stormwater pollution reduces water quality.
To report storm drain violations and illegal dumping, such as someone pouring substances into the storm drain, contact the following:
- City of Saratoga Public Works Department: 408-868-1258
- West Valley Clean Water Program: 408-354-5385
Requirements for Development
Conditions of approval for development projects include the installation and maintenance of Best Management Practices (BMP's) for site design and storm water treatment, which must be designed per approved numeric sizing criteria. General guidance on the selection and implementation of BMP's and Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plans can be found on the California Storm Water Quality Association website and at the Santa Clara Urban Runoff Pollution Prevention Program website.
See the C3 Handbook 2012 (PDF); this is a low resolution copy of the handbook. You can obtain a free, high resolution copy on CD from the Planning Department or Engineering Department at City Hall.
C3 Forms for Development Projects
- See the C3 Quick Reference Checklist (PDF) to determine which forms your project may need:
- Small Project Worksheet (PDF) (most small residential projects will use this form)
- C3 Data Form (PDF)
- Landscape Design Guidelines (PDF)
- LID Feasibility Glossary (PDF)
- LID Feasibility Worksheet (PDF)
- LID Feasibility Screening Worksheet (PDF)
- Infiltration Worksheet (PDF)
- Rainwater Harvesting Worksheet (PDF)
- Alternative Building Materials That Reduce Pollutants (PDF)
- Builders Outreach (PDF)
- Copper Architecture BMPs (PDF)
- Join With The City to Reduce Pesticides (PDF)
- Landscape Dispersion Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Landscape Maintenance Techniques for Pest Reduction (PDF)
- Pervious Paving Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Pesticide Control Measures for Development Projects (PDF)
- Powerpoint Presentation - Bay Friendly Landscaping and Gardening (PDF)
- Rain Barrel Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Rain Garden Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Sediment Tracking Control Bulletin for Construction Sites (PDF)