Emergency Preparedness and Saratoga CERT
Saratoga Community Emergency Response Team (CERT)
Saratoga CERT is managed by the City of Saratoga with support from the Santa Clara County Fire Department. It has a trained cadre of leadership volunteers whose input directs the group. Volunteers lead in the areas of planning, communications, and logistics. In time of disaster the operations of Saratoga CERT are coordinated from the City Emergency Operations Center (EOC) as pre-planned neighborhood divisions assess the damage in their neighborhoods, assist the injured, fight small fires, perform light search and rescue, and fulfill disaster related tasks as needed.
Community Emergency Response Teams fill a vital part of the overall response to disasters by ensuring the safety and well being of their homes and families, and by providing the grass roots service needed on the neighborhood level to those affected by disaster. In major catastrophe's First Responder agencies are often overwhelmed by the demands placed upon them and CERTs can help fill the response gaps that are inevitable. It is one of the crucial methods of mobilizing residents of the City in support of the overall response, and helps solve problems while reducing the victim population.
Disaster Service Worker (DSW) ID Card
City of Saratoga CERT members are encouraged to obtain their DSW ID Card after completing the CERT Academy. To get your ID card, you have two options.
- Make an appointment with Crystal Bothelio in the City Manager's Department to have your photo taken during regular business hours.
- Submit a photo of yourself via email to Crystal Bothelio in the City Manager's Department that meets the following Photo ID Criteria. Cards can be picked up at City Hall during regular business hours or mailed.
Photo ID Criteria:
- Photo shows your full face
- Photo should be taken with shoulders and face directly positioned towards the camera (do not angle your face or body and no selfies)
- Photo should be clear and well lit (without shadows obscuring your face)
- Use a neutral, plain, and solid colored background for the photo (such as a wall)
- Do not digitally alter the photo (no filters)