Conditional Use Permits

A Conditional Use Permit (CUP) is a zoning exception that allows a property owner to use their land in a way not otherwise permitted within the particular zoning district. Submit a Development Application Form (PDF) to apply for a CUP.

Details about which uses may require a CUP can be found in Chapter 15 Zoning Regulations of the City Code. Some uses that may require a CUP include restaurants, markets, hotels and motels, institutional facilities, and community facilities.

Who approves a CUP? 

CUPs are approved by the Planning Commission and may be appealed to the City Council. The Planning Commission may deny a CUP or impose conditions if it finds that the proposed conditional use will adversely affect existing or anticipated uses in the immediate neighborhood or will adversely affect surrounding properties or occupants.

What is the approval decision based on? 

The Planning Commission considers numerous factors when making a decision about a CUP application. The proposed use must meet the zoning and General Plan requirements for the site, and the use must be compatible with the existing uses in the area. The Commission may also consider parking, building size, building placement, access to streets and utilities, hours of operation, noise level, landscaping, traffic general, and the expiration date of the permit.

In most cases, the process takes from 3 to 6 months. The review process can be expedited by ensuring the application is correctly filled out and the proposal is clearly stated. 

What does a CUP cost?

The cost can be found in the City's Fee Schedule.