Tips & Trends: Year in Review
In 2020, there were 49 residential burglaries reported in the City of Saratoga. In 2021, that number increased by 14% to a total of 56 in total. However, looking at the data over a 10-year-period, the 2021 total fell below the annual average of 66. It also fell well below the 10-year-high of 130.
Most of the residential burglaries (45%) occurred when the home was left unoccupied for more than one day, frequently when the resident was out of town. In other instances, when the crime occurred on a single day, the majority occurred in the evening from 5:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m., most frequently on Saturdays.
The most common entry method was breaking a glass door, usually a rear slider. The second most common was an open garage door. In a couple of cases, burglars gained access to the garage by using a garage door remote taken from an unlocked vehicle.
Follow these tips to help keep you and your family safe in 2022:
- Avoid sharing travel plans online or on social media
- Request a Patrol Check to have a Deputy check on your property when you are out of town, ask neighbors to keep an eye on your home too
- Stop mail and newspaper delivery when you are out of town
- Always activate your home alarm and surveillance system
- Remember to lock and secure all windows and doors